Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Huevos Away Again!


Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I will jettison my Egg escape pod and send the book manuscript back to the publisher. I still have to send the editor a revised book proposal (a.k.a. "Banns of Egg"), but I can't wait to send the entire MS back any longer. The most important thing is to obtain another reader's report (hopefully a positive one!) and then the editor will take the proposal to the editorial board. So, I've reached the point where exhaustion outweighs trepidation and it's going out for better or worse.

I've decided to be a little easy on myself about the 6 extra weeks it took me to complete these book revisions (beyond the 3-month personal deadline I'd inititally set for myself). Since receiving the reader's report, I've halfway cooked two children (indeed, I'd already begun when I got the report, but I didn't know it), revised and seen the final proofs of two articles, taught 3 classes, and packed and moved one and a half households (I'm in the midst of the second one now - this last one over an international border). Not too shabby for a semester...

Anyway, I'm actually keen to get back home, where we will finally be a one-household family once again, and get started on researching a new article which will be a part of Egg II. I'd love to see how far I can get on this before the aliens land!! The thought of doing a little leisurely research is extremely appealing summer work...finish the research I'd begun a while back, begin outlining an article version, maybe draft a bit of the article...cool...

7 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Wow! I am totally impressed with all that past and future productivity! Including the child-cooking! Oh, that doesn't sound good. Nemind.

Good luck with the egg and Egg II and all those articles you're ripping out over there! Whoo-hoo!


(PS new place pics? Come on, I can't paint or nothin' over here! Indulge me!)

What Now? said...

Umm, yeah, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. What an amazing spring you've had! Good luck with the Egg, and happy settling into your new home for the summer.

Earnest English said...

Awesome! Isn't it great when you're excited to get started on something new?!

C. Troubadour said...

You've been a busy girl :). A leisurely summer of research sounds like quite the reward as the landing date for the aliens approaches.

Good Enough Woman said...

I am blown away by all that you've accomplished. It seems as if during my first pregnancy, I taught a light load and languished the rest of the time.

Oh, those were the days . . .

You are my role model for productive gestating!

Notorious Ph.D. said...

So many things hatching! Really, I don't know how you get it all done, but: go, you!

Ink said...

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!

Had to say it thrice because that's really, really, really impressive.