Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Random Bits of New Year's Fluff

Wow, it's been a while since I've blogged! We had a wonderful time in Napa and then back to San Francisco for a few days (Alcatraz is fun!). By the time we got home last week I was going stir crazy from living out of a suitcase for 2 weeks. And then the very next day, TD left to go away to Dutchmanlandia, so I sank into a slight depression for a few days realizing that our lovely summer and fall of cohabitation had come to an end.

The job dance continues - one of TD's jobs really wants him and they're looking into a t-t job for me. B/c of this fast-moving opportunity, I've gone to my Chair and Dean and told them the situation. I even wrote up a 3-page memo outlining what they lose if I leave and what they gain by hiring TD. I feel like I gave them good ammo and I really hope something can be worked out. But, I'm actually going to try to remain on an even keel this job season and not count my eggs before they're in the pudding, and so on...so, I won't blog about each little change, but will let you know the outcome eventually.

School starts next Wednesday and I'm sort of prepared - it's all CTs all the time, so it will be fun. Having a hard time getting into work-mode, however.

One of my former colleagues (he's no longer at Dream Academy but was still in town) died suddenly a week or so ago. A very aggressive and swift-moving illness and he was found in his apartment after he'd been sick only a couple days. I didn't know him well, but some friends of mine in the department did and it's very upsetting all the same.

We received 3 cases of wine yesterday from our frolicking in the wine country. I've had to order a wine rack just so we can store it all. But it wasn't nearly as fun opening up the boxes without TD here...

More later!

7 comments:

Phul Devi said...

Happy New Year to you and The Dutchman!

Now picture me, squinting hard and concentrating:

May this be the year of the beginning of your togetherness.

Matthew Gabriele said...

Best thing about SF/ the Bay Area is the food. Hope you got to eat some good stuff while out there...

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

Here's to your being reunited again soon! When will you see the Dutchman again? I'm scheduled to say goodbye to my own tall Dutch sweetheart in four days. Sigh ...

medieval woman said...

Is your sweetheart Dutch, CT? I'll see him again on the 22nd, thankfully!

Thanks for the well wishes, folks!

Thoroughly Educated said...

Mmm, cases of wine. Now THAT was a good idea. A little bit of Christmas vacation to carry into the new year.

Here's hoping there's movement on the job front and you and TD are reunited soon!

(And here's one for the captcha coincidence files: the word presented below for my transcription is the name of the drug my elderly dog takes.)

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

He is by heritage, but not by citizenship :). Actually, I should clarify; his dad's family hails from Dutch-speaking Belgium. Either way, the last name falls squarely into the Dutch category. This makes for great fun when my students find out I'm their instructor -- I took my husband's name, but I'm Asian.

Doctor Cleveland said...

Leverage that market for all its worth, MW! The chance doesn't come by often enough, and actually living with your spouse is a damned good goal.