Monday, November 22, 2010

This may be a bit inappropriate, but...

...I want to ask my therapist out on a play date.

Okay. She's about my age, she has a little boy only six weeks older than Sirs Guy and Miles and she's SO cool! I think I like her like her...

Actually, I really like her as a therapist, too. She's smart, Ph.D. in Psychology, she challenges me, she's funny. My last appointment when I was feeling so overwhelmed with everything, I thought I would go in there and cry, but we ended up laughing our asses off the whole time about kids, life as a new parent, etc. It was exactly what I needed and she said it didn't even feel like therapy...

Do you think she feels the same way about me? I mean, do you think she might want to have our kids meet at some point? I find myself looking at the picture of her little boy on her desk and thinking about how nice it would be for the three boys to play together and Dr. M and I can slug back a pitcher of margaritas.

The kids are still too young to really play together, so I figure I have time before I actually have to pop the question. But I just know that at some point I'm going to have to ask her if she wants things to go further. Will I need to get another therapist? Would it be inappropriate to see each other socially? I keep thinking about whether her husband and TD would get along...

Sigh.

I have such a crush...

6 comments:

squadratomagico said...

Oh God, I kind of hate girl crushes... except I love girl crushes, too, and get them all the time. But I always get shy and afraid my crush doesn't like me. The whole thing is exciting, though!

But I think you *would* have to give her up as your therapist.

Glad to hear the overwhelmingness is melting into normalcy.

medieval woman said...

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. Alas, we cannot be all things to all people!

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

I can't even get my vet to socialize with us.

And now it's really impossible, because she's just had twins.

So maybe she'd be up for play dates with you all, in place of your therapist.

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Yeah, if she's a good therapist, you'd have to give her up if you wanted to socialize with her. Sucks, but it's true.

Susan said...

Great that you have a nice therapist, but yes, ethically, she can be either a therapist or a friend....

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

Eeee tough question. I'm in agreement that she can't be both friend and therapist. I guess the decision hinges on which you prefer her as more. True friends and effective therapists are both really, really hard to find.

Glad things are going well overall, though :)