Sunday, November 30, 2008

Post-Turkey Shake-Down

Everything went wonderfully during T-giving. Medieval Pop and Medieval Aunt #2 came for dinner and we cooked all the traditionals - turkey was *really* good.

Except now we have to eat the thing for the next week. This is what I hate about having turkey for Thanksgiving.

Only ONE MORE WEEK of classes starting tomorrow (*angels sing JOY!*) - I'm grading the last dregs of papers - if I don't get them back on Wednesday and instead give them back after their exam next Monday, is this a bad thing? A demi-sin or a minor peccadillo?

One of my very good friends here at the Dream Academy - the one who got me into the Activity - did not get tenure. She found out the week before Thanksgiving. I feel horrible and I can only imagine how bad she feels. This wasn't entirely unexpected, but you always have hope, ya know?

9 comments:

Flavia said...

Oh no! This isn't the person I know, is it?

Glad to hear your T-day was great, and looking forward to seeing you at MLA! (Still fare-stalking tickets, but think I have to commit & buy tonight.)

Flavia said...

Oh, and I think it's a very minor sin indeed--unless you've already had the things for a long time.

medieval woman said...

Hey Flaves,

Oh no - it's not J! J is only halfway thru the first year on the t-t...whew! We all have time...

I, too, am looking forward to MLA - strangely. It'll be great to see everyone - I'll post about a blogger meet-up.

And I'll have had the papers for 2 weeks this Wednesday. But there was t-giving and I was in a turkey coma....

Belle said...

I hereby judge it a quasi-faux-demi-sin. So quit worrying about it. Your penance is to sing (to yourself) the fight song for Dream Academy, do a minor grimace in the direction of the library and move on. It's not like they're going to read the comments anyway.

Now that's worth a groan.

squadratomagico said...

Sorry to hear about your friend's negative tenure decision. Even when it's not a surprise, it always feels crappy to hear about someone who didn't make it through.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's negative decision. That sucks. And in a year like this, too.

Turkey, indeed.

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

How long were the papers? I'd say that should be taken into account :).

Regarding your turkey -- a great way to use the leftovers is to make stock. Just throw everything into a giant pot, add water (about 2-3 quarts, depending on the size of your turkey and the pot), and throw in a few stalks of celery and carrots. Bring to a rolling boil. Cover and simmer for 2.5 hours and you've got the best tasting soup with meat falling off the bones. Wonderful with pasta added afterward.

Flavia said...

No, no--I didn't mean J. I mean the more senior-but-still-junior person in the same subfield as J.

(But I'm still guessing the answer is no, since you'd have known whom I meant if it were s/he.)

medieval woman said...

D'oh! Flavia - I just got who you were talking about! ;) No, that person's case is a virtual lock, which is awesome because that person is awesome and a lovely colleague and friend!