Friday, November 2, 2007

Life's Little Chicken Nuggets of Joy...

The Dutchman arrives tonight! Yay!!!

My hair has been highlighted and looks good (I'm growing out the funky cut).

I have a big-honkin' blogger meet-up planned for next weekend (including Tiruncula, What Now, heu mihi, and Flavia-Flave) - any predictions on how much trouble we get into over Indian food, drinks, and ???? (What happens at Blogger Meet-Up stays at Blogger Meet-Up...)

I love my department. Yep. I said it. I love my job (crazy students notwithstanding). I've *never* been at a place with so much support at every level - from immediate colleagues to the most vaulted administrative positions. Recently Renaissance colleague and I worked on a junior-faculty oriented proposal. It was proposing something that's kind of a big deal and we weren't sure what kind of response we'd get. We did our homework and worked up a good one - we were pleased. Well, we've been hearing about its reception at all levels of faculty admin. and it's totally taking off! In fact, it's been taken out of our hands so that the powers that be can do the necessary research and number-crunching to make it happen.

And I've made some lovely friends here - really - I feel very at home. We're having a party tomorrow night and lots of great people are coming.

I had lunch today with senior medieval colleague and she's excited about reading The Article That Never Dies (if it's ever done - Morgan, I know I owe it to you!!).

Sorry to ooze happniess, but it's one of those days when everything is great. TD becomes more and more excited about the prospect of the position at Awesome Neighboring U (more than he's letting on - I think he feels like too much enthusiasm will jinx it). I love the thought of staying here and making my career here. After such a long journey to get here, I know this is the place for me.

6 comments:

Flavia said...

Oh, isn't that the best feeling??

I've been feeling that myself, too, about my own job. I don't know whether it's that last year was an adjustment year, or whether I was too thoroughly bamboozled by some graduate-school-derived idea of the prestige hierarchy, or what--but the past two months I've found myself thinking, often, "you know, I totally spend the rest of my career here."

It's so nice to be at a place that really walks the talk about valuing teaching and research equally, isn't it?

Can't wait to see you next weekend!

What Now? said...

MW, I'm so glad you're loving your department so much -- what a fabulous feeling!

Have a great weekend with TD.

squadratomagico said...

Yay for Medieval Woman!

Hip-hip Hooray!

So glad to hear of your happiness!

Belle said...

It's wonderful for you and for you to share this with those out there who are miserably searching, hoping to find tolerable. You've found great.

Have a wonderful meet-up, and emerge with one or two tidbits you can share.

Dr. Virago said...

Yay! I know how you feel and I'm happy you're feeling it, too.

And say hi to the other bloggers from me.

Alison said...

Oh don't worry -- I haven't forgotten about your article. Sigh. Hopefully mine will be finished soon as well.