Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Stop the Presses...A Medieval Literature Plea for Info...

As much as we hate to deviate from our normal routine here at Medieval Woman HQ (get up late, eat Frosted Mini-Wheats, drink 75 Coke Zeros, watch 27 episodes of Law & Order, back to bed...), it seems like I need to get my medieval wings out of mothballs once in a while and stretch them.

S'okay - isn't there a section in The Book of Margery Kempe where she imagines herself at the birth of Christ (or thereabouts) and sees herself helping Mary take care of the Baby-J? I could have swron that was part of her meditation at some point (surely something that made her weep with joy), but I can't remember where! HELP me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

4 comments:

New Kid on the Hallway said...

I'm pretty sure it's the birth of the virgin, actually, and she's bustling around helping out St. Anne. Although this may not actually help you find the passage at all! I'm afraid I can't remember where in the text it is, although I want to say somewhere near the front, because that's the part of the book I know best. ;-) (My copy's packed, or I'd take a look.) HTH!

Dr. Virago said...

Do you know the Mapping Margery Kempe web site? It's here. If you click on the Text link, you'll get to a summary of the chapters. And I think NK is right -- it's the birth of the Virgin.

medieval woman said...

D'oh! I think ya'll are right about the baby Mary vs. baby J thing. Bah humbug. Does this dissuade me from using this tidbit? Hmmmm...I'll have to think about it...

Gerard said...

I have read a few of the blog posts on your website now and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it and will be checking back soon. Please check out my website as well and let me know what you think; Dissertation Finishing Help