Thursday, January 3, 2008

Three Days into the New Year

First off, I want to thank all of you who sent such awesome comments about my last post on teaching writing. It confirms that I am not an island (which I dig - I can be a peninsula, but not an island) in the whole "teaching" thing. I heartily agree with Pilgrim/Heretic in that most students think of their educations as discrete hoops to jump through rather than skills that build on one another. I've built some pre-emptive exercises into my syllabus this time - I'm not sure if I'll have time for an entire day of workshopping (although I'd love to), but I do have an assignment built in. Thanks again!

Now, to the New Year. TD and I had a wonderful New Year's eve with friends, excellent food, and tons of champagne. We heard yesterday that TD's interview with Slightly More Distant Neighboring U has been postponed - another postponement in this process - ARGH! The guy got delayed driving back from his holiday destination in the giant snow storm that has blanketed much of the north, so it's not anything more sinister than Mother Nature (when TD said, "There's some bad news about...." - I thought he would say they already hired someone!). But, the waiting continues to feel like tiny little cuts on my psyche. So now, he might fly back here with me after our week at Dutchman U (we go there tomorrow until I come back the 11th) at the end of next week. But this all depends on whether the guy will get back to TD or not. C'est la guerre.

I'm going to list my 2008 New Year's goals/wishes/pipe dreams now - keeping in mind that it all hinges on a job offer (it's the keystone for our entire set of goals - fun times).

1) The token "lose weight" resolution - why break with tradition? Is anyone else terrified about the crazy amount of "alli", "Weight Watchers", "Jenny Craig", etc. commercials on TV? How gendered is this assualt? I can't watch the Law and Order New Year's marathons and snack with impunity anymore!

2) Cohabitation with co-careers.

3) At least one more article accepted for publication and a nice headstart on the book manuscript.

4) Get pregnant. Yup, I said it! Contingent upon #2...

5) Inner peace and zen-like tranquility. Or less fits of random crying and nail biting.

6) To shed my gloom and doom outlook. So many people have it so much harder...

2 comments:

Thoroughly Educated said...

2-6 sound like fab goals. I like that 5 has an achievable fallback position.

Belle said...

Yeah, I've been really creeped out by the weight loss commercials too. Of course, I just saw self in a full length mirror for the first time in months and freaked. Where did that come from?

Appendages crossed for news soonest.